To: The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada Cc: Marc Miller Minister of Indigenous Services Cc: Carolyn Bennett Ministre of Crown-Indigenous Relations Cc: David Lametti Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada Cc: Kate Young MP, London West
Dear Prime Minister:
I write to you today regarding the 215 indigenous children fund in the mass grave in Kamloops, BC. I call on you to:
- Investigate and prosecute those responsible for the death of these children
- When requested by local communities, fully fund examinations of burial grounds at other residential and day schools, ensuring that indigenous peoples control access to the sites.
- Continue urging the Catholic church to release all records and photos related to residential schools. Push for an actual apology form the church, lacking that, strongly consider breaking off diplomatic ties with the Holy See.
- Implement the calls in the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society of Canada's Spirit Bear Plan, which includes stopping litigation against First Nations children and residential school survivors.
- Fully fund mental healthcare and other support services for indigenous persons dedicated to addressing the trauma caused by our (settlers) genocide of their people.
- Implement the 94 calls to actions from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
With all due respect, keep your “thoughts and prayers” and other platitudes to yourself. It must be action that revives Canada's dead reconciliation process, not promises or words.
I look forward to your reply on this urgent matter.
Sincerely, Shawn Nock